Running in costume can be lots of fun, but there are some very important factors to take into consideration when you plan to run a race in costume!
- Comfort is key! You want to test your costume out on a run before you race in it. If you plan to wear it for a half marathon or a marathon, test it out at a 5K first! Pay attention to where it might rub or chafe, and if it breathes! Wear a matching shirt and/or leggings underneath if you notice chafing. Which brings me to.....
- Fabric! Halloween costumes can be fun, but they don't usually breathe very well. Wearing one to a Disney race, especially when it is hot and/or humid, can be a huge mistake!
- Accessories can be fun, but running a marathon with wings on, or carrying a sword, might make you a little crazy! Make sure it is something you can live with, or won't mind ditching!
- Masks can make or break a costume, but might also be against rules. Disney does not allow them, so be sure to check the rules before you commit to a costume!
- Tights are cute, but you can end up with mega blisters! Consider using footless tights so you can also wear proper running socks! Many compression sock companies have great patterns!
- Use actual running clothes as often as possible, and alter them to fit your costume! I have taken a tech shirt and pinned faces to them as costumes, and paired it with a great running skirt.
- Be prepared to make last minute changes! I brought a great costume to Wine and Dine, but when the monsoon was forecasted, I switched to a tee and skirt. I just knew that I would be miserable in my costume, and I wanted to be as comfy as possible. Good thing, because it rained...no, poured... the entire time.
- Keep the distance in mind, and make the necessary alterations. I wear Sparkle Skirts underneath many of my costumes. They have crazy pockets in the waist and on the shorts, and come in handy during half marathons.
- Have fun!!!! Be prepared to wave to the kids, I dressed as Mike from Monsters Inc at Disney, and all the kids were calling be by name. Well, Mike's name. I was famous.
|Great costume, I wore a brown Sparkle Skirt underneath.|
|Fun but scratchy, and the wig was annoying. I wore clothes underneath!|
|much better without the wig|
|This would be a cute costume, from Hot Topic. I'm considering it for a future race|
|add a sparkly skirt, instant Chewbacca|
|add a cute skirt, instant R2D2|
|I am ironing on a Reese's logo for the Hot Chocolate 15K|
|to go with the shirt above..... add a Running Buddy and you're ready to go|
|pink camo shirt, camo running skirt, instant Army Hero|
|thinking about this for Superhero.... red shirt, red leggings, black running skirt, and an iron on|
|I was supposed to be Pocahontas, but the rain was coming.....|
What hero should I dress as for Superhero? Han? R2D2? Chewie? Mrs. Incredible?